Indians who were awarded Nobel Prize for their distinguished works
- Rabindranath Tagore (1861-1941) – He was one of the greatest poets of India and received Nobel Prize for his book “Gitanjali” in 1913. He had also composed the national anthem of India.
- Sir C.V. Raman (1888-1970) – One of the brilliant jewels of India, C.V. Raman with Nobel Prize for Physics in 1930 for his “Raman” effect.
- Dr. Hargobind Khorana (1922-2011) – Dr. Khorana was awarded with Nobel Prize for Medicine and Physiology in 1968. Khorana has the distinction of producing the first man-made gene in a lab. He was jointly awarded the Nobel Prize with Marshall Nuremberg and Robert Holley.
- Dr. Subramanian Chandrasekhar (1910-1995) – Dr. Subramanian Chandrasekhar was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1983. It is noteworthy to learn that he was the nephew of Nobel winner, C. V. Raman. He won the Nobel Prize for his work on stars and their evolution.
- Mother Teresa (1910-1997) – Great social worker Mother Teresa was awarded with Nobel Prize for Peace in 1979. This Yugoslavia born great soul spent her entire life helping the poor and the sick through the Missionaries of Charity in Calcutta.
- Dr. Amartya Sen (1933- ) – World renowned economist, Dr. Sen won the Nobel Prize for Economics in 1998. He was awarded with this prestigious award for his work in Welfare Economics.
- Venkatraman Ramakrishnan(1952): Venkatraman Ramakrishnan was awarded the Nobel Prize in 2009 for studies of the structure and function of the ribosome.
- Kailash Satyarthi (1954- ): Founder of Bachpan Bachao Andolna, Kailash Satyarthi was awarded the Nobel Prize jointly with Malala Yousafzai of Pakistan for the fight against the suppression of children and young people.
Persons of Indian linkage
- V.S. Naipaul (1932- ) – Sir Vidiadhar Surajprasad Naipaul, a British writer of Indian origin was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2001. He was born in Trinidad.
- Ronald Ross (1857-1932): He was born in present Uttarakhand (Almora) in British India. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for his work on deadly disease Malaria. He carried out successful research on this disease and explained how parasites of malaria enter the body and infected it.
- Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936): Rudyard Kipling was born in Bombay and received the Nobel Award for his contribution in Literature.
- Dalai Lama( 1935